Total Pageviews

..

Monday 22 July 2013

Rabbi Chaim Rapoport responds to Jewish Chronicle article







Rabbi Chaim Rapoport

The senior rabbi that a Jewish girl turned to for assistance, who then went on to provide character evidence for her abuser, has sent the following comprehensive statement to Tzedek in response to last week’s article in the UK’s The Jewish Chronicle (http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/109571/she-told-police-she-was-abused-her-friends-made-her-pay-price),
Rabbi Chaim Rapoport writes:
I have stated my opinion in numerous public forums that paedophiles, as all criminals who constitute a threat to society, should be incarcerated in jail, if necessary – for life, the primary reason being: to protect their potential victims from abuse. I have likewise stated unequivocally that victims and those with knowledge or reasonable suspicion of abuse in the Jewish community must report such cases to the legal authorities in order to ensure that the victims are fully supported, the criminals are penalized and society is protected. I decry those people who exhibit a grotesque lack of sympathy or attempt to belittle the trauma suffered by victims, or, worse still, perversely portray the predators (and their active or passive accomplices) as the victims and cruelly penalise and ostracise victims and their families. I support institutions that are designed to help victims. I myself have been instrumental in setting up support apparatus for victims and have asserted myself to help them in every possible way. Now to the issue at hand:
The case of Mr. Levy and Ms. Goldsobel (both of whom had previously come to me for counseling) went before a Crown Court jury on two occasions. Ultimately verdicts of not guilty on all rape charges and any other charges relating to post-16 activity were entered on the court record. The court was however satisfied that sexual conduct had started before Goldsobel was 16 and that it followed as a matter of law that she could not have consented to that activity, regardless of whether she had been a willing partner. Yet, when sentencing Levy, the judge stated explicitly that he does not constitute a threat to society.
From a Jewish perspective, even if the woman was over the age of 16 when (as the defendant claimed) a long-term consensual sexual affair began, the relationship undoubtedly constituted a transgression of Jewish Law and arguably an ethical misdemeanor. It was in this context that I stated in court that the age of legal consent is somewhat arbitrary, because whether a girl is 15 or 16 does not mitigate the religious misdemeanor and cannot truly be determinant in deciding whether the relationship was exploitative in nature. A clandestine relationship between a 16 or 17 year old girl and a man some ten years her senior may well be exploitative and constitute a breach of trust. Therefore, even according to the defendant’s version of the events, the woman was correct in not allowing the matter to be ignored and when she consulted with me, I offered her empathetic advice, encouragement and pastoral support. It is for this reason that, even before the case came to court, I counseled the defendant on penitential and spiritual ‘rectification’ and prescribed measures for his continuous ethical and religious rehabilitation, including the provision of financial assistance for the sexually offended.
Given the defendant’s personal and family circumstances, his current lifestyle, and the assertion (shared by the judge) that he does not constitute a threat to society, it has been argued that in his case punitive and corrective measures other than jail may be more appropriate and helpful. It was in this context that I gave a current character reference about the defendant whom I have observed on an almost daily basis and personally counseled on many occasions. I have witnessed, over a number of years, his penitence and his progressive transformation from the religiously and morally wayward paths of his younger years. It is my impression that he is now a changed man, an ethically responsible member of the community in addition to being a good husband and father to his (soon) six young children. It is of course beyond my remit and area of expertise to determine the nature of the penalty, but it is my prerogative, if not duty, to provide the judge with information that may be relevant to his decision.



23 comments:

  1. Any write-up on the not guilty verdict of today's case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't keep us in suspence. Who received today's not guilty verdict?

      Delete
    2. Which one in wood green?

      Delete
  2. Articulate and well written, BUT isn't suggesting Mendy should pay her a bit insulting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any excuse for the JC to have a bash at an Orthodox Rabbi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a sad day for victims!!!
    A great day for pedophiles and child molesters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure some where in the Gemorrah, there's an equivalent of, "When you're in a hole, stop digging." Perhaps Charles Saatchi has been advising him on how to do damage limitation.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. R' Rapoport will soon suggest that she should merry him, he understands this issue like an 8 year old learning the Parshe of Oiness and Mefathe in Cheider..

    He has no understanding what child abuse is... he should just shot up !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still nothing about the YE & YK acquittal. People posted what they want about both, that you accepted (unfortunately so did I), now there is an acquittal silence prevails.
    It is unprofessional & not nice after characters were assassinated right here.
    Although I haven't seen those two since their childhood almost 40 years back, I doubt I would recognize them, but if they are not guilty beyond reasonable doubt to an all gentile jury, then to us they do should be vindicated.
    I know that most of your stuff is from other sites, but here & there you have a line or two of your own.
    So please write up something so that we see you as a fair journalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please go ahead and alight-en us.... nobody seems to know what is going on !!

      Delete
    2. If the site covers such issues then it is wrong to leave out an acquital. Please fill in the details. It was heard in open court, although the JC has not yet picked it up.

      Delete
    3. http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/109700/father-not-guilty-raping-daughter

      Delete
  8. Anonymous23 July 2013 22:47

    Yk remains a pedophile!!! To all you parents, be aware and do NOT send your children to his house.
    he has abused many many children.
    This should be public information.
    SAYS WHO?
    Ain Apitropes larayois, so I can't refute your claim. However what is based on?
    Did he do you? Did you witness it?
    Or maybe because he is weird kids are scared of him, or name him after adults ask was it him.
    Many years back a choshuva Yid in England ( a nephew of one the most prominent Roshei Yeshiva at the time) was vacationing (I can't remember if was in Wales or Scotland, or somewhere else), he had a weird look, & a long beard & not such focused eyes. He looked like the guy who I would have been frightened of as a kid, he had a cat's stare too.
    Guess what a (gentile) kid suspected him , & he went through a case it cost thousands of pounds, but it turned out his look was the problem, kind of racial profiling.
    I must admit, that I don't know YK today, but as a little kid, I can't say he wasn't a little weird, if so is there no possibility that makes him suspect to some and accused by others even though, there is nothing to it? Could it be that is why this girl chose him above her fathers other friends?
    See Yanky Horrowitz's blog he has an article called the Hallo effect, I think it may clear the air for you.
    I am not saying that if you privately suspect someone you should not take precautions, I think even where you don't suspect someone you should. However calling out someone like that in a public blog who was never convicted in court or even Bais din, requires a lot more than hearsay. At this point I rather accept that his mannerisms are what cause him to be suspect, not any substantial proof.
    If I am right I would appreciate you correct your above comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wont disclose my name, I have not spoken up to anyone and I will not say to much info and I do not plan in reporting him as I will only put myself to shame and I have no proof to provide. But I will tell you is that the person in mention grabbed me by my privates, I really will not say anymore where when and how, I am now in yeshivah and had found out the recent allegations a week ago and I was in shock but did believe that it could be true, I hope for the publics sake that children should be fully aware of this mans capabilities.

      Delete
    2. If this really happened24 July 2013 at 22:04

      If this really happened you may need help. Go to your Rabbi mashgiach, or best friend & tell them. You may not feel the affect until you are in shiduchim & Ch"v you may find yourself, aging as your piers get married. You may Ch'v have problems after marriage. Get help ASAP. It is no joke.
      Posting here anonymously is worse than going to the police, you could have it out in court, even if he wins you got even, but here, it is like going after the dead in blogosphere, they have no way to defend themselves.
      In the Torah & lehavdil most legal systems, there is always a chance for defense. Vehitzilu Hoaidoh, they shall judge & save, is in the Torah.
      I was not there so I can't vouch for him, but seeing you are anonymous, we don't know what you a referring to.
      For arguments sake it may have been in the mikvah with his glasses off, & he was stretching for the hand-rail, although damage was done to you, it may have been non-intentional. If that the case you should have screamed right there & then.
      I have poor eyesight, & without glasses I almost need to feel my way, although I could see colors & profiles & sometimes even figure out a face. I try not to go in to the mikveh when kids are in there. I don't think kids should be there the same time as adults, if at all, & even then I try to stand away from anyone else. Boruch hashem I know that precautions must be taken, and I take them, well I guess I don't want to slip or fall either. Could it possibly be he has poor eyesight was without his glasses ( I must admit, I don't know if he even wears glasses) & is just sloppy, of course damage was done, but does it make him a pedophile?
      I am only using an example that I could imagine, due to my life difficulties I am not saying what happened, because I don't know, but other similar situations may be possible.
      I have to admit that I fail to understand the urge of this type of behavior too, because it is quite revolting to me. The same way I am revolted by The Mayoral candidate of NY's behavior. Boruch Hashem I don't have that yetzer Horah.
      Of course you only say "part" of a story on a public website, so we can't possibly hold him guilty of anything.
      An attack on a blog doesn't allow him to answer.
      If this really happened to you I suspect, it wasn't just one abuser, you probably have a little more cream on the pie, most of the abused are vulnerable, & may have been abused by many, I must emphasize you need help, and now. For the above mentioned reasons, plus many more, for your safety & the safety of others go for help.
      You are not alone, & have done nothing wrong, wrong was done unto you. you have nothing to be ashamed of, that doesn't mean you have to public though.

      Delete
    3. Are u serios??? Why on earth should this guy ho to a rabbi??? What exactly will the rabbi do??? Rabbis are utterly useless in these fields.
      Dont u know that rabbis support abusers and push away poor victims of abuse.

      Delete
    4. If this really happened25 July 2013 at 01:35

      Chemi,
      My point isn't go to a Rabbi with a shaaloh of mesirah. BTW most Rabbonim who could relate to a young bochur, are already from the generation who hold it isn't messirah. Not that it has to do with age, but see this discussed on Daas Torah blog.
      What he needs to go to a rabbi or mashgiach is, to get the right address, & make sure he gets help & therapy right now.
      He shouldn't wait until it causes him to do the same CH"V & keep that cycle going. If he isn't prone to that, it may CH"V cause him to stay single, & go for help at 40, when the game is almost over. It may also cause problems after marriage.
      Sex abuse of male on male, although the gay rights people don't admit it, most physiologists & almost all historic (when it was permitted) claimed it could alter the victims sexual orientation.
      That said who knows how many future generations were killed by this epidemic, let alone those who suffered a life time of silence & celibacy, not out of will, but out of cause.
      Think about all the times those alter bochurim go to shachris with no talis, get no kibudim, the lifetime of embarrassment they endure. The comments they heard from all the goodwill machers that they don't want to get married, the nights they go to sleep hungry & lonely. To add to it a life of zero nachas, just pain & suffering all alone in silence. Is that not worse than a death sentence & jail sentence?
      Could that not have been caused by a melamed spanking a kid across his knees to pleasure himself in front of a class? Could some of the kids in the class not get altered orientation just by witnessing such acts? Does it need the kid to be part of it?
      Those melamdim go on in life with children grandchildren & even great grandchildren, they get called best melamdim, & choshuva yidden, they get kovod, where as their victims, sometimes only those who witnessed their lewd acts get the above.
      Bochur, whomever you are you don't want to end up like either one of the above you must go for help ASAP. The Rabbi or mashgiach is a start, Revenge may feel good, but it won't help you. You come first go for help, open your mouth & speak, even if it was your own father who did it. You don't have to publicize your father did it, because in our society it will work against you, but you could still get therapy.

      Delete
  9. To clarify. XX was found guilty of molesting his children, touching them up and breaching the holy family trust. He is now on the sex register and is back on the streets in Golders Green. For those of you with daughters, keep away from XXXXXXX Avenue. Whilst XX / XX were found not guilty, this is due to the excellent high paid barrister that GS employs to defend all phedos. In a trial like this u just need to place a QC against a vulnerable 18 year old victim to be mangled in court. XX has gone to Israel .. to stay? holiday who knows .. maybe more s coming hi sway

    ReplyDelete
  10. XX remains a paedophile!!! To all you parents, be aware and do NOT send your children to his house.
    he has abused many many children.
    This should be public information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the 100% truth24 July 2013 at 23:44

    XX is a sick sick evil man, I promise you I know for 10000000000000000% that this sick evil guy has molested and touched up many boys. I know it from first hand information from boys who he had molested and touched inappropriately. If you think this guy is innocent, then feel free to send your kids to his house, but just a strong warning, BE AWARE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sad has the world come! I hear in Stamford Hill the chusidim are name Rabbi Wallerstein a roshoh, and u know why, for sticking up for an abused girl.

    This crap has got to stop!!!

    ReplyDelete